Tuesday, June 5, 2007

It's my yearly tradition!

Dear Allison Landa,


Thank you very much for sending me your recent submission for consideration in The Best American Erotica series. I'm sorry to say I won't be using your work for next year's edition.

I appreciate your work, and would be happy to see your best work or suggestions again for future editions of BAE.

My next deadline for nominations for BAE 2009 is January 1, 2008.

The work you send for consideration must have been published for the first time between March 1, 2007 and March 1, 2008. You can send me more than one story, all in one package, if you like. I prefer getting everything at once rather than several seperate submissions, if that works for you.

Please don't send SASE's, or anything I would need to return to you. I need your email address on the cover letter to correspond with you, but please include your snail mail and phone as well.

BAE 2008 will be our fifteenth anniversary. I hope you get to take a look at this year's edition, as it will give you a good idea of what kind of literature I'm publishing.

Writers often ask me, "Well, what are you looking for?" The best thing I can recommend is to read a current edition of The Best American Erotica. You'll find the 20+ diverse stories that I chose among thousands of submissions.

You can find the latest BAE at: http://www.amazon.com/dp/ASIN/0743289625/?tag=susiebrightcom

My second suggestion would be to encourage you to read a copy of my book How to Write a Dirty Story: Reading, Writing, and Publishing Erotica.

Yes, the title is tongue in cheek, but it's my frank discussion of everything I've seen in publishing over the past 25 years. It will give you a good idea of my taste and perspective in erotic lit.

Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/ASIN/0743226232/?tag=susiebrightcom

You can find these books at many public libraries as well.

If you have other questions about the BAE series, please don't hesitate to write. Again, thank you so much for your (hard) (wet) efforts.


Yours sincerely,

Susie
--

Susie Bright * POB 8377 * Santa Cruz, CA * 95061 *

2 comments:

Happy Chandler said...

Spamming her book to submitters seems pretty skeezy to me!

Allison Landa said...

Yeah, I agree. And I've thought so the last few years, too. I wasn't sure about how to phrase it because it would look like I've got the sour-grapes syndrome, right?

Except I'm fine with not getting into Best American. There's stiff competition, snicker.

I'm fine with it, but then again, I don't need Susie Bright pimping her book to me. That's just gross.