Wednesday, June 13, 2007

A personal argument for New Urbanism

I'm just now editing a story I wrote for Real Estate Southern California Magazine about New Urbanism -- in a nutshell, the concept of walkable communities modeled on an "urban village" (think Greenwich Village, or Berkeley, for that matter) concept.

Today I'd like to add my own argument for New Urbanist techniques.

Yesterday, I drove slightly less than 200 miles to go see Ellen Bass speak in Santa Cruz. Today I met a potential client out in Pleasanton -- a 60-mile round trip.

Nearly 300 miles in two days. My body feels unhealthy from so much time in the car. I hopped on my bike, bought tickets at the Berkeley Rep, and am now at the Peoples Cafe. I'm still tired. Part of it is the heat. But I'm sure a lot of it is all the damn driving. Cars, ugh!

No comments: