Friday, July 20, 2007

Frustrated

Very much so.

Since November, I've been seeing Dr. Clinton Young at California Pacific Medical Center. I've literally run up thousands of dollars in debt from:

- Doctor visits: $300 for a 3-minute visit. Not a bad hourly rate, huh?
- Blood tests.
- A CT scan. Horrible experience. And cost in the thousands all by itself.

Not to mention the medication I've been taking and that hasn't done ANYTHING.

Also, his front office is rushed and brisk. You'd better be prepared to say what you want to say, or else you'll be put on hold or snapped at. The billing office is quite nice, though.

Today he called me back after I left two messages for him. When I told him I haven't seen improvement, he basically insinuated this could be the end of the road ... unless I went in for another round of useless exams and tests.

Finally he said: "I'll call a friend of mine in Wisconsin ... get some free advice." Like he was doing me some favor. Supposedly I'll hear from him on Monday. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. I'm not counting on it.

I understand that physicians are professionals just like everyone else. They're not going to hold your hand and cry their eyes out when you express frustration. But I expect a doctor to do his job, and to show some sort of respect to me as a patient. At a minimum.

1 comment:

Kathy@TheFlawlessWord said...

Oh, I can so relate, except I've not been feeling well since last June. Aren't doctors so frustrating? Mine has basically written me off as a hypochondriac, so I've pretty much given up on getting back to my old self. I guess when I'm dead I can take solace in "I told you so." LOL Fortunately, I have fairly good health insurance, so my doctor visits run me only $25, and my doc spends at least 15 minutes with me when I see her.