Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Something borrowed, something boozed

On the way home from Southern California yesterday, Adam and I stopped for coffee and stood outside in the windy warmth, holding our paper Starbucks cups. "We wanted the easiest, most low-key thing possible," I said. "I thought if anyone could pull it off, it would be us."

"I know," he said.

I'm learning that a wedding, no matter how low-key, opens the door to everyone's opinions and preferences:

Why are you ...
Why aren't you ...
Why don't you invite ...
Why can't you have it here ...
Why can't you have it on this date ...
Why aren't you doing it the way we did it?


It could be that a wedding is a ritualistic opening of the relationship to everyone for their buy-in, a public seeking of approval. In any event, I have two very strong and conflicting feelings:

- The party's going to be great.
- If I had the chance to do it again, I probably wouldn't have the damn party at all.

No comments: