Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My therapy experience has not been good. It's caused me to give up on the idea of talk therapy -- and I say that as someone whose mother AND mother-in-law are both MFTs.

There was the therapist who suggested I get my father to pay for my sessions -- uh, what? Have you heard a word I said? There was the one who was seemingly unable to make an appointment earlier than a day in advance. And then there was the one who, well, just looked bored.

I guess I'm lucky. I haven't had the therapist that a friend of mine once had -- a guy who fell asleep on him in session not once, but twice. He never went back there, that's for sure.

I'm done with therapy. I believe what I need now is to treat the chemical parts of my brain that are misfiring.

I'm very open about my troubles with anxiety and depression -- more anxiety than depression, but the two do tend to trot around hand in hand. I've also realized that the anxiety floats. There is no anchor and usually no reason. I can be sitting on the couch on a gorgeous day and just be anxious as hell.

Is this just something to medicate away?

No. But I'm very self-aware and have the resources to work through through my own issues. What I don't have is an MD, so I'm not able to prescribe medication.

And thus far, no psychiatrist I've spoken with is willing to do so. They all want me on their couch every week. At $150 a session, you have got to be out of your mind. So I'll keep calling and pushing until I get what I need.

No comments: