Friday, February 6, 2009

Up in the land of Oaf

Writing group last night. A homecoming of sorts. We interrupted each other and laughed ourselves hoarse. In between, we talked writing.

Sharing The Project with Sean and Rob is both difficult and terrific. Difficult because these guys know me and have for years, terrific because, as Sean put it in email later: "Allison, you know that I'll treat your submission with the respect it deserves and all the bitchy anal-compulsive dissection that I can't help bringing to bear." That's what a fiendishly good writing group can do for you, and these are fiendishly good writers.

We had two newcomers, Seth and Eli, and it was far less complicated to share my work with them. I'm interested to hear what they say.

Sean and Rob didn't spare me last night. They like what I'm working on, like where it's going, but the digressions stop them. As Sean said: "You love metaphor and metaphor loves you ... but you need discipline." Rob noted that the digressions don't seem to be in my voice, which Adam told me a month or so ago.

We also drank a bunch of beer and ate pretzels, both essential for any productive meeting.

No comments: