Friday, March 6, 2009

Thank you, Judith Warner!

The New York Times writer has a terrifically insightful article up today about the sour side of mindfulness practice:

I have no doubt that this meta-connectedness feels real, and indeed is real, in the abstract at least. But in real-life encounters, I’ve come lately to wonder whether meaningful bonds are well forged by the extreme solipsism that mindfulness practice often turns out to be.

I should add that I've found meditation extremely helpful over the last year or so, and that I do try to incorporate this thing called mindfulness practice into my life. I don't confuse it with false connection, though, or empathizing from everything from daisies to Charles Manson to the major fucking prick who took my bike and Adam's car and his CDs ... but I digress.

It just means being aware of what's up: How you're feeling, what you're thinking, what's going on. If that means cynicism and dark humor (of which I am both a huge fan), so much the better.

Let's face it: Bliss ain't gonna happen for me or for Judith Warner. For that reason alone, I'd like to meet her, shake her hand, and buy her a frosty beverage of her choice.

No comments: