Thursday, April 9, 2009

I've been working on The Project since 2005. In that time I've turned inward, grown more solitary. I've preferred headphones to conversation. I've shrunk from ringing phones.

I thought I was comfortable with the material.

I am. I'm more comfortable than I ever would've expected. But does that mean totally comfortable?

Hardly.

Every day I live with my past, open up a Word doc and roll around in bygone muck. It's become my reality. Once I'm done with this, it'll be time to figure out what the hell that means. Or maybe just to move on.

2 comments:

robp said...

Well, it was your reality, and now you're documenting it, and since there's a lot of pain in that reality some of it hurts even in recollection. Maybe especially, if you think you've gotten past something and realize when you write about it that the pain is still there. But the writing's damned good, and that's what matters. And whatever the order, facing it on the page should make it easier to face if it recurs in reality, or having faced it in reality should make it easier to face on the page. It's an interesting combination, and it takes courage to deal with it, both to face it as it happens and to document.

You will move on, whatever the hell that means, however much of this stays with you to whatever degree, and those who care about you will move on with you. You handle it well, in person and on the page, and I look forward to being around for the rest of this project and whatever follows.

Allison Landa said...

Wow, dude, that means a ton to me. You guys have been instrumental in helping me work through the project, and in so doing, work through all this shit. I promise not to bring in a claw-handled hammer at any point, or if I do, to do it only for inspiration for one of your gory masterpieces.