Sunday, April 12, 2009

"Tokyo Sonata": A flat note

Adam and I went to see "Tokyo Sonata" today with high hopes.

We were not impressed.

I'll save the plot description for other reviewers and just head straight to my nitpicks, of which there are several:

- Multiple plotlines, many of which are thrown in randomly and then not picked up or clumsily handled later in the movie.
- Shoddy characterizations -- I didn't really give much of a damn about the people on screen.
- The problem of too much intensity with too little behind it. There was nothing new in this movie, be it about Japanese culture or the human condition.

My biggest problem, though, is that two thirds of the way through, the movie takes an abrupt and entirely unbelievable switch in tone and pace. This leads to an absolutely unjustified ending that left us shaking our heads as we departed the theater.

We did have sushi as a consolation, though, and it was good.

No comments: