Monday, May 11, 2009

Out of bounds

Over the last few years I've learned to joke about having Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia, which is the main thrust of The Project.

However, yesterday proved that I still have boundaries.

Adam and I were talking and he made a crack. He thought it was funny. It brought tears to my eyes. I pushed past him as he tried to hug me, said things to make the situation better:

If it was an issue for me, I wouldn't have married you ...

Love you more than I've ever loved anyone ...

Always seen you as beautiful, always ...


"Shut up," I said, whirling to face him from where I sat on the couch. "Just shut up. Do you know how to shut up? Shut up."

Fact is, he was just joking. Joking the way I do, the way I've said I could never joke in the past. Proof that I've moved forward.

Still, we both learned something. I learned just how sensitive I am, and how sensitive I may always be. He learned that sometimes going for the joke is the wrong thing, no matter how innocuous it may seem.

No comments: