Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The silent treatment

Sadness, not anger, spurs me to write this.

I'm grateful for that. Sadness underlies so much anger -- it does for me, at any rate -- that the the two are often twins. Sadness also sometimes feels like the more profound and difficult emotion, which in turn can make it to access.

I'm terribly sad that Adam's mother has barely spoken to us since late last year.

I could go into details, but they're pointless and, in fact, fairly private. I will say, however, that the silent treatment is a poor choice in a world where we are never even certain we'll have our next breath, let alone another day, week, month or year.

Family is extremely important to me and I've worked hard to establish and maintain good relations with mine. That doesn't involve stonewalling them. It involves stepping up and working together to identify and change a difficult situation.

No comments: