Thursday, October 15, 2009

Introduction to the Jewish Experience

Last night I began this class, which is offered by Lehrhaus Judaica and takes place at Congregation Beth El in Berkeley.

I got an email about it last month. I was sitting on my porch at MacDowell, watching the trees. I did that a lot. Sometimes the trees were friendly, their changing colors showcased in the sun. Other days they snarled. I think they were quiet when I found out about this class.

After a moment of hesitation, I registered. It wasn't some huge epiphany. I didn't stand up and scream into the woods that it was time to learn about my roots. But I am interested, and last night's class was terrific.

Tomorrow, Adam and I will celebrate Shabbat.

2 comments:

Kathy@TheFlawlessWord said...

I'm so happy you got to experience how a rural setting ties you to something bigger (whatever that something bigger happens to be to you)!

Allison Landa said...

It sure did! It was the longest amount of time I've ever spent in a rural setting. Totally different experience!