Friday, March 26, 2010

Shine

I'm listening to "Shine" by Collective Soul on Pandora. I wanted to write up this quippy little bit about what 1993 -- the year the song came out -- meant to me. I couldn't be quippy. This was one of the most tumultuous times of my life. My parents were in the middle of an ugly divorce and my mother had moved some stranger into our home. My family felt like a set of strangers. Life took on a David Lynch cast. I hid in Santa Barbara and turned off my brain. It was easier than I'd expected.

There is so much ugliness from that time. Coming home to find a Christmas tree in my house. My mother becoming someone I didn't know and couldn't understand: someone hard, materialistic, mercenary. Learning that there was no place for me in the place where I grew up.

That's enough for now.

No comments: