Sunday, August 22, 2010

Maizie and Jack -- and Oliver

Oliver is up there saying: "Get off my lawn!" I'd like to think he's also saying: "Go for it."

We adopted two Labrador-Australian Shepherd puppies today: Maizie and Jack. They're five weeks old, so they will have to wait to come home with us until they're eight weeks.

Which is good. I need the three weeks to prepare, both emotionally and in practical terms. These are beautiful dogs and I know that I will bond with them. But I miss my bear. And there is guilt. I know we're doing the right thing, but there is guilt. He's not being replaced -- he never could be. But -- there is guilt.

But I do think he's saying: "Go for it." And I thank him for it.

2 comments:

River Driver said...

I'm pretty sure that Oliver will be watching with great amusement as you face a whole new gamut of challenges with these two pretty puppies. It's a new chapter in a book that has a lot of emotion in it.

Allison Landa said...

I gotta say, I keep your comments as reminders ... all good ones!