Saturday, November 5, 2011

Why I left my writer's group

Wednesdays used to be Homework Club. I'd go hang out in Sean's studio and we'd talk the written word.

Then I left. 

I didn't leave in an honest way. I asked if I could be a "part-time" member. Then I just never came back.

Why?

I often felt as though I didn't fit in. The guys liked to talk about music I didn't know and didn't like, authors who I'd never heard of, and just philosophy in general that I couldn't get behind.

They are not bad people. They just aren't the group for me right now.

ADDENDUM:

This feels like such a sketchy post to me, half-baked and only half-truthful. The fact is that I wanted to give this airspace, but I still am holding back on some of my truer feelings around it all. I will say, though, that by the end I grew to dread group, and I'm sure they could tell. We are probably all better off.

No comments: