Thursday, April 4, 2013

RIP Roger Ebert

Damn you, 2013. You are taking too many amazing people. Today Roger Ebert died at the age of 70. He was a great man and a huge influence on me. When I write, I so often think of a line I once read by him, something to the degree of specifics create the best universalities.

I first became a huge fan while working at the Fairfield Daily Republic, where his reviews would run on the wire. Then I read his Sideways review, where he noted that, at heart, a drunk is always planning his drinking, and I realized (after so many others) that this was more than just a movie reviewer. This was a philosopher, and a brilliant one at that.

Adam and I saw him at the Castro Theater a few years back. He and his wife Chaz seemed like great people. It's a very sad day.

No comments: