Saturday, June 1, 2013

Cheryl Strayed

I'm at a workshop with Cheryl Strayed right now and it's pretty damn awesome. She's a really bright lady with a lot of things to say.

Here's a few of them:

"What I'm going to bank on is if I feel this way about myself, some of you will too. Trust that however weird you are, the rest of us are just as weird. That's the moment to write into. People who play it safe stay in the maybe pile."

"(Find the) core question that's universal to all of us. Once I knew what I was saying, everything could be of service to that."

"Often we have mistaken revelations. Allow yourself to write about those too."

"When you're stuck, write into a moment of revelation."

"I always want to add the unwritten last line: nothing was ever the same again. This thing shifted the world -- and the reader's world too."

No comments: