Saturday, December 23, 2017

The Killers, "Read My Mind"

This is the song that got us to Tokyo.

It was 10 years ago now. Nearly a year we'd lived together. We were making chili in our tiny kitchen after his friend had left.

"What a douche," I said.

"Come on. He's not that bad."

"He keeps his passport on him at all times in case he needs to, I don't know, jet to Malaysia. Meanwhile I've never known him to go any further than Portland."

Somehow this twisted into a conversation about travel. We had plans: Europe, Austin, New York. I was determined to add to that list.

I should tell you that I loved him, so much and so fiercely, that it shook me from time to time. Harsh and jittering yet at the same time familiar and warm, schizo like that.

"Name them," I said, sitting at my ancient laptop. "Just reel off some cities. We'll go from there."

Somehow this happened. And a month later, we were in Takadanobaba.

No comments: