Saturday, January 17, 2009

Good vs. Great: The case of "The Wrestler"

Saw The Wrestler tonight.

It was a good film, not a great one. Adam and I discussed this after the movie at BurgerMeister in Cole Valley.

For me to consider any art form -- movies, books, plays, songs, visual art or otherwise -- good, it has to give its audience credit for intelligence. The Wrestler did this. It it is a grave and at times quite moving film, and as noted by many reviewers, Mickey Rourke gives a strong and unselfconscious performance. As a character study as well as a window into a world few of us see -- professional wrestling -- the movie more than hit the mark.

But it is not a great film.

It's hard to be good. It's a hundred times more challenging to be great.

Good means quality. Great means something more. Great says you've told me something new, opened up a provocative line of debate, or made me feel emotions of which I never believed myself capable.

Good is two hours of smart entertainment. Great keeps you up at night, wondering.

A few examples of great art, in all forms:

Annie Hall
Adaptation
Arthur
Gone With the Wind (book and movie)
Chris Rock
Joni Mitchell
Harry Chapin
Mike Daisey
Paul Theroux
Sherman Alexie
Best In Show
Pulp Fiction
Falling Down
Raising Arizona
Blazing Saddles
The Beatles
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
Jackie Collins (yes, seriously)
The Stand, Stephen King
Baby Love, Joyce Maynard
Prozac Highway, Persimmon Blackbridge
Platform, Michel Houellebecq
Airplane!
Boogie Nights
Shaun of the Dead
Run Lola Run
Astonishing Splashes of Colour, Clare Morrall
Twilight Zone
Six Feet Under
The Sopranos
Stroszek (Werner Herzog rules!)
The Squid and the Whale
The War of the Roses
Happiness
Storytelling
Punch-Drunk Love
Tori Amos
Tracy Chapman
Barenaked Ladies

Great doesn't necessarily mean grave and profound. Great can be funny or raunchy as hell. I put Jackie Collins on the list because I love her dialogue, and because she was an early influence. I included E.T. because that movie has such a sweet heart -- pun only sort of intended -- and it appealed to people of all ages. I listed Gone With the Wind because Scarlett O'Hara is one of the best main characters I've ever seen.

I want my work to be great. I want to surprise you, tell you something you don't know, get you talking and keep you up at night thinking. I want you to remember what I write. It's what I've always wanted, and I work every day to achieve it.

No comments: