Thursday, October 29, 2009

What are my own mitzvot?

In class last night we were discussing mitzvot -- the 613 commandments found in the Torah. Rabbi Adar said: "It's a world full of pain. Our job as Jews is to heal up a little bit of that. ... It doesn't entirely fix it, but it's better than it was. It's not incumbent on you to finish the job, but it's inherent on you to start."

So what are my mitzvot?

1) Honesty. By being candid, I hope to let others know they're not alone in this world, and that they can count on understanding and empathy from others.
2) Taking care of those I love. Being there for them, watching over them if need be, pushing them when necessary.
3) Using my talent(s).
4) Pushing myself to that next level. Never being satisfied with the status quo. Working to make my little corner of the world better.

I'm sure there's more, but that's a start for now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

great post! Your tradition of mitzvot makes me think of Mother Teresa's comment (paraphrased) -- if you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one.

I think you are succeeding with your mitzvot.

Allison Landa said...

Thank you! I like Mother Teresa's comment. :)