Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Little Beater

Since we bought Ringo last night, it looks like my 1989 Toyota Corolla is getting sold back to the state for $1000.

It's not an opportunity I can pass up. Who else is giving to give me a grand for a 20-year-old car with a hole in the roof? (Don't ask, or better yet, ask Adam.)

I bought that car in August 2004 as I was starting grad school at St. Mary's. I was single then and living in Oakland. I needed to replace my Celica convertible. I'd beaten the thing to all hell and I needed a reliable car to get to school.

Enter Little Beater. I bought her for $1500 from an extremely responsible girl named Erin. The car was in gorgeous shape for a vehicle that old. I've only put 40,000 miles on her in the past five years. I've driven her to Los Angeles several times and San Diego once -- I think, but am not sure. We've been to Reno together, Santa Cruz too.

She was one of the last decisions I would make on my own. Last night Adam asked me if I needed more space to make unilateral decisions.

"I left for a month in September," I said. "And two weeks in July. If that isn't unilateral, I don't know what is."

Still, I'm going to miss Little Beater. Lord knows I don't want to be single again, but those days were fun.

No comments: