Tuesday, December 23, 2014

The Sun interview with Stephen Harrod Buhner

We all know the cliche that men in midlife suddenly get a toupee or a sports car or a new wife, but few of us understand that at every major stage of life ... We move into different territories of the self. 

....

At each stage we have the chance to correct the past to some extent, to do the things we avoided doing. Most of all, we have to understand that our younger self is not coming back. And we always fear that passing, that movement toward the end of life. If we do not come to terms with these passages, we risk becoming less genuine, becoming the enemy of our souls and our memories. We risk lying on our deathbed, looking back, and saying, "I could have." That is a deep betrayal of the self, one that I am determined to avoid if at all possible. I wish to greet my death knowing I have left nothing undone. 

No comments: