Sunday, November 10, 2019

Beginning of an essay


I got my backpack stolen at the Barcelona train station in another life. I'm playing with that here. 

-------------


I don’t talk to strangers. That’s the ironic thing. Or, if I do, it’s when I’m feeling expansive, happy, on the cusp of something fantastic. None of this was true at Barcelona’s overly well-lit main train station as I sat there in the early days of 2001.

I had a Diet Coke in one hand and a book I was handily ignoring in the other – White Teeth by Zadie Smith, which I later realized is a really good read – and sorrow that extended from my brow to the tips of my toes. Maybe he sniffed that out. Maybe he sensed the loneliness, the isolation. Could be I telegraphed some sort of desperation, a yen for companionship so strong that it overwhelmed my most basic of instincts.

In other words, I was a mark. He was almost certainly skilled at spotting them. Marks may not always be obvious patsys, but travel can bring out the worst in the best of us.



No comments: