Wednesday, March 28, 2007

How to spot a risky job, and more

I'd like to start incorporating some notes on freelancing in this blog.

Right now I'm reading this. It's co-authored by Angela Hoy, who runs Writer's Weekly -- a powerhouse advocate for freelancers.

Sections that have me nodding my head include:

- "Requires an audition." There are way too many potential clients out there who demand work for free in order to "prove" your talents -- when work samples have already been provided. My rule of thumb on this: If I can provide the "audition" work within 5 minutes or less, fine. Otherwise, forget it.

- "Sketchy project." If the client can't explain what they're doing, it's likely that they don't know or that they don't have their act together.

- "No contract." A signed agreement is a must.

Read job ads carefully, guys. It's a clue to what you'll be dealing with should you take this client on. And remember: Interviews are a two-way street. If they feel hinky, don't work with them.

No comments: