Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A proposal to remember

Everyone remembers how they got engaged.

My parents did it in my mother's parents' Bronx apartment, during a commercial break while watching Love, American Style on tv.

I did it on stage in the East Village.

It was St. Patrick's Day, 2007. I was wrapping up the second-to-last performance of my solo show at the FRIGID New York theater festival. I'd decided to go all Mike Daisey and riff, and what do you know, it worked. I was feeling good and giving the last bits of my spiel, encouraging the audience to go see other shows.

Then I saw Adam get up from the front row and walk toward me. I knew what he was going to do before he went down on one knee.

He said he heard the gasp from the audience. I only saw what was in the box.

"Is that real?" I asked. "Where'd you get it from?"

"Costco," he said. "Now, will you say yes so I can get up?"

2 comments:

Sean Craven said...

You win -- best proposal ever. Sure beats our, "Guess we gotta get married, huh?" "Sure seems like it."

Allison Landa said...

Well, that's the conversation we had in the diner beforehand. :)