Saturday, September 25, 2010

I don't love them yet

We've had Jack and Maizie for two weeks now. They're sweet and they're trouble, and it's taking me time to bond with them. I didn't expect much different. Fact is, I like dogs far better than I like puppies. Dogs are focused on you. Puppies are focused on ... anything but.

When I'm out with them people often say: "I bet they're so much fun." They can be, but that's a small part of it. Fact is, they're work. And Adam and I feel more like parents than ever before.

Do I regret getting them? I do think it was too soon after Oliver. That said, in six months I believe I will feel different. I don't want to just get through this time with them, though. I want to enjoy it or at least appreciate it as best I can. I know when they're 12 or 13, we'll look back and wish we could see them romping through the grass just once more.

Trust me. I know.

No comments: