Thursday, May 5, 2011

"The Last Post"

This brought tears to my eyes today. I didn't know Derek Miller, but I am so touched by his final post, written in advance before he died of cancer this week.

What got me the most was what he wrote to his kids and wife, in that order:

What is true is that I loved them. Lauren and Marina, as you mature and become yourselves over the years, know that I loved you and did my best to be a good father.
 
Airdrie, you were my best friend and my closest connection. I don't know what we'd have been like without each other, but I think the world would be a poorer place. I loved you deeply, I loved you, I loved you, I loved you.
His blog shows the power of so many things, among them deep personal love and the power of the internet. I believe in both.

2 comments:

cattywhumpus said...

I had a friend who I only knew from her online journal who died last year of breast cancer that came back taking her all too young. Everytime I read posts like this my heart just breaks but it also is an overwhelming blessing to see the dignity people are capable of and to grab life and truly live it. thank you for sharing this.

Allison Landa said...

I'm glad it touched you!