Tuesday, February 5, 2019

From BEARDED LADY


Nails, my mother, the person who cried into the void and gave me life, said. She said it like it was the world’s most important thing, and to her maybe it was. She wore an oversized sweatshirt and leggings, like Flashdance was about to call and ask for its outfit back. She looked at me like I was one of those dust motes shimmering in an irritating way, just something else she would ask Elvira, our maid, to wipe away from the balcony.
           
“Let me tell you,” she said, and you just knew she was about to lay down the intel. “You may never get that chance again.”

I know this was supposed to hurt. I was aware that it was an insult. I was supposed to find a sweet dark corner and lay down my head and cry for all the opportunities missed because I was not only a dork, but an ugly dork.
           
Instead I felt amazing. Matt? He wanted me. It was obvious. He took Tina as a consolation prize, but somewhere along the way he knew he wanted me. He couldn’t just leave this alone. He couldn’t let me be. He was going to keep worrying it like the dogs at the shelter gnawed after their frozen Kongs. Difference was that they eventually get their peanut butter. Him, he got nothing.

Finally, I was sure of it.

No comments: