Sunday, February 10, 2019

Cafe la Boheme

I'm sitting next to these two Alcoholics Anonymous guys. I know not because they said it, but because they're talking about God and the seventh step and all this bullshit. There's something about them too, something that on the surface looks clean but really is just a filter covering something even more rotten.

He was an AA guy. Had been for years. He was an AA guy, nearly a decade sober when he tried to use alcohol to get me to come back to his house with him because his girlfriend was out of town, when we sat at Vesuvio and I'd gone outside to call Adam -- who at 8:30 was already pissed because I was already drunk and almost certainly going to be home late -- and I came back in and he'd ordered me a third Death in the Afternoon. "Drink it," he said.

"Fuck you," I said, and had a single sip.

No comments: