Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Today's writing

At first I didn’t buy it, the way I had trouble swallowing any type of good news. There was no way he could mean it, no way he was actually going to go through with the adoption on the strength of a single walk. Worst of all, I feared that the adoption wouldn’t work out and that Romeo would be right back where he started – and back on the euthanasia list.

I also wondered why Romeo hadn’t been made Rescue-Only based on behavior. Was there a miscalculation that I’d need to worry about? Was he really suitable for adoption? I couldn’t exactly get too deep into a relationship with Paul if the dog I’d gotten him to take on wound up ripping his throat out.

We stood on that corner, blinking in the sunlight. It had been foggy when we left and neither of us thought to bring sunglasses. He seemed as surprised as me, and then he knelt down and petted Romeo. “I know it seems like kind of a quick decision,” he said, “but you know, I’m that kind of dude.”

Well, that did explain something. He’d been quick to take to me, quick to take to the dog he was now nuzzling and who was gently nuzzling back. Had I called it? Were these two an item?

Life was spinning, happening so fast, changes seeming to tumble from the sky like frogs in biblical times. The good, the bad, the what in the hell all drifted around my shoulders like confetti, falling in my eyes, blinding me. 

No comments: