Friday, July 26, 2019

From THE THIRD MAN


I grew up watching sitcoms where the mother had breakfast on the table at a certain hour, everything orderly and waiting for her smartass kids to drift down and give her shit while they ate it. Me, I stuck a piece of bread in the toaster and whipped out the peanut butter.

“Hey,” Adam said, “how much do you have for the credit-card bill?”

Oh God. My stomach knotted the way it always did when he asked me that question, because I never had enough. I mumbled something about money coming in the following week, which was total bullshit because I hadn’t even invoiced yet. And I hadn’t yet invoiced because I hadn’t been doing any work.

In other words, I was tapped.

He touched my arm. “Just level with me. How much do you have?”

Like any good feminist, I broke into tears.

When we first got together, I broke my ass to make sure that I covered half of whatever we bought, whether that was dinner or plane tickets. Sometimes that meant stupid shit like delaying rent or taking an advance from my credit card, just to hide the fact that my freelancing simply wasn’t cutting it.

No comments: