Sunday, June 6, 2021

Birdhouse in Your Soul

I'm up stupid early listening to They Might Be Giants. Adam loaned me his Flood CD when I went to Vancouver for AWP in ... oh my God, 2005. We had just started dating and man, it was a bit rough. I walked around the city listening to this song, thinking we'll be lucky if we make it to May. 

God, I loved him. Not that I don't still, of course, but this was a different love, desperate in its way. We didn't talk the entire week I was in Canada. Actually, that's not true. I called him up, all pissed off along international phone lines. "All you needed to do was call me," he said.

I humphed.

He lived in Alameda then, and I in Oakland. We spent the night at each other's places, but didn't spend entire weekends together. We were too new then, too fresh and too delicate in our way. So much tentative love. So much passion. 



No comments: