Monday, July 25, 2022

Today's writing

Climbing through the depression, trying to tap away at my work in progress:


The store is a clutch of cutesy accessories of all stripes: shoes, jewelry, mugs, knickknacks that would take only one swipe of Po’s paw to break.

 

Then there is the doll.

 

Somehow I find it in my hands and I’m not letting it go. It’s not that it looks a little like Jax’s beloved Mr. Bear; it’s exactly the same. I don’t know how that’s possible. Mr. Bear came from some uncle or cousin and if it had made its way from Red Stella, I didn’t know about it. Yet here he is, soft again, young, untrammeled. Jax Velveteen Rabbit-ed the shit out of that bear. Eventually it lost an eye, an ear, found its arm permanently raised from Jax’s brutal grasp.

 

He never really got over Mr. Bear. He just grew a little more embarrassed, as kids do once they begin to grow up. They don’t want their youthful loves in evidence, but they do want them at the ready. Disloyal? Unfaithful? Certainly. The truth? You bet.

 

I wanted to bury him with Mr. Bear. Rob said that was morbid. Sweetheart, I’ll give you morbid: burying your teenage son to begin with. All the rest is sour, tangy icing.


No comments: