Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Today's writing

Jax shrugged, his demeanor returned to its typically mild way. I would almost have preferred a continuation of the shit-fit, an elongation of the anger. I could have handled that, maybe. The departure from his previous self proved jarring, but maybe I could have switched gears quickly. I don’t know because he just went back to who he was: someone who would never punch anything, animate or not.

 

What precipitates that? Where does that 180-degree twist come in? It must be something in the brain, some sort of flip of the switch, a flick, a flight of fancy. All I knew was that it scared the shit out of me. Like, serial-killer type of fear. I’d birthed him but still I didn’t understand what went on in that head. That’s because we were always two separate beings, even when connected. Close as two creatures can get and yet still – two. Not one. I am not he and he is not me and we were not destined to always be together. Something like that.

 

I should mention that he was a gorgeous kid. I mean, seriously. Amazing-looking. Bangs that fell to just above his eyes, which were wide and blue and expressive. Redhead. He got his coloring from somewhere deep in our lineages, but I couldn’t tell you where to save my life. Genetics were always beyond me, both conceptually and in execution. I only knew that we existed because someone placed us here, and that that being had some loose handle on design.

 

No comments: