Monday, June 11, 2007

I'm going to see Mike Daisey perform at the Berkeley Rep this week. I can't wait!

I was reading his blog last night and came across this article questioning today's solo performers. The article pissed Daisey off. I can see why.

Daisey writes:

"What pisses me off is the demeaning head-patting given to the solo form, here and elsewhere--few would make such a sweeping dismissal of another theatrical form, like the straight play. What Alexis experienced was 3 shitty solo shows, followed by one not-quite-as-shitty solo show. I believe in the old adage that 90% of everything is crap, and that's certainly true in solo performance--as it is in theatre, dance, painting and every other art form that I've learned enough about to know anything. There's nothing unique or interesting about bad art--it's tremendously democratic, and happens everywhere.

"I'm sensitive because I'm biased--I'm a monologuist, so it rankles me when my form gets tossed on a scrap heap. It dismisses work before it's even heard, but I'm no fainting lilly--I work against this bias every day, and that's all one can do. That doesn't make it right, however--if we dismissed forms based on the negative examples, I believe traditionally theatre would have been cancelled long ago, at least based on what I've seen. Shakespeare? Sucks. Downtown? Pffffft--I've seen at least four that sucked ass. Chuck it in the trash.

"Luckily, of course, it doesn't work that way--it's the great works that ennoble us, and make slogging through all the mediocrity and bullshit worthwhile. It's the only reason we do any work, to look for greatness, and when we find that work it illuminates us, and fills us until we are larger than ourselves."

When he estimates that 90 percent of art is crap, that may be an underestimate. But the stuff that shines -- it shines, and it can't be ignored.

I'm fired up. I'm working on my "longer piece" and my solo show/memoir, and I'm applying to MacDowell and Yaddo.

No comments: