Thursday, July 5, 2007

Tattoos and you

Once again, the LA Times gets an interesting story.

My first instinct when reading this: Who cares what employees look like? Let them be tattooed!

Then I thought about my own way of making a living.

I work offsite. That means I can dress as I like -- and that usually involves something worn and comfortable. Though I have no tattoos and have pretty much let my ear piercings (two in each) close up out of lack of interest, I doubt I look very professional most days.

I couldn't care less about appearance and image. And that goes beyond what I wear and whether or not I have ink in my skin. That means not wanting to play politics or engage in small talk. That's a lot of what drove me out of the conventional workplace.

I've made a choice. So does anyone who alters their appearance. It says something about them. Personally, I like people who make unconventional choices, who look different, who say something with their bodies. But there's plenty of employers who don't. And the law states that they have that right.

No comments: