Tuesday, August 7, 2007

PCOS

One out of 10 women in America has polycystic ovarian syndrome. I'd say it's about 99 percent certain that I'm one of those women.

That's what I'm writing my solo show about, and that's what I've been battling with visits to the doctor, with medication that may or may not help matters.

Some days just getting out of bed is the challenge. That's why I've learned to be a performer -- to try, anyway -- to draw attention to more than just what I suffer healthwise.

There's no point in not talking about it any more. There's no point in keeping secret what really isn't very secret anyway.

Oh, it could be worse. It could be so much worse.

Most days that makes me feel better. But only most.

1 comment:

Kathy@TheFlawlessWord said...

Yah know, I have my suspicions that this (PCOS) might be the root of MY problems too, either that or a thyroid issue (even though my doc swiftly wrote off THAT theory after a normal TSH and T4 reading). I've been contemplating making an appointment with an endo for months, but I'm tired of being treated like a hypochondriac. It's exhausting on top of already being exhausted every day. We need to talk, girl. Email me! I definitely want to know more about your show, too.