Wednesday, April 9, 2008

"We didn't DO it -- we ARE doing it."

Adam and I were talking over some Turkish food today and we both found ourselves saying that we didn't get married, we are married. It's a lifelong climb, a challenge with many rewards along the way and chances to take in the view from a vista point where you stop and catch your breath. Okay, the metaphor is courtesy of me, not him.

This occurred to me later while I was on the elliptical machine at the gym. When I first started looking at pictures from the wedding, I thought: My God. Fat fat fat. I've always struggled with my weight. Maybe it's genetics, complications from PCOS, luck of the draw, whatever. But then I started looking at the pictures again. I look radiant. Adam looks thrilled. Everyone was so happy to be there, and everyone loved how intimate, low-key, and friendly everything was.

Does that mean I was a skinny bride? No. Does that mean I wouldn't like to be a few sizes smaller in the future? Absolutely. That's why I've been going to the gym regularly ever since we got back from Tokyo.

So the pictures. No, it's not skinny skinny skinny. But it's happy happy happy. And life? It's an active thing, not a passive thing. What helps? Honesty -- as in this post -- as well as optimism. I'm excited about continuing to move forward in every way.

1 comment:

Kathy@TheFlawlessWord said...

That's exactly what I thought too when I saw the wedding pictures: You were glowing and radiant. Congratulations!