Saturday, June 20, 2020

Grotto resignation letter

I sent this to Deborah and to Michael, vowing I would not share it publicly. Yet here I am. Perhaps I will delete this, but I should not. It deserves airspace. It needs to be said.

Dear Grotts:

It is with much sorrow and a not-inconsiderable amount of relief that I tender my official resignation. I have been honored to work amongst your ranks for a year and a half and planned to stay far longer. 

That said, I have no regrets. I do not regret the time I spent in this renowned organization and I do not regret leaving. It has grown clear that there is a gulf between myself and prevailing thought at The Grotto that either cannot or will not allow itself to be bridged. I first became aware of this during the American Dirt controversy, when the simple act of reading a particular book came under fire. It grew apparent to me that stepping outside prescribed thought patterns is a dangerous thing in these hallowed halls, that bullying and groupthink can flourish even in an organization purportedly dedicated to fostering a wide range of creative expression. 

This hit home even more strongly with the advent of the pandemic and the protests. When calls for civil discourse and expressions of dissenting belief are met with cries of racism, it becomes clear that free speech is the wholesale loser. You might think that a group of talented storytellers would be interested in nuancing the narrative. 

I wish you all well.

Best,

Allison 

No comments: