Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Give me a break

This is just total bullshit. As I wrote to a few friends just now:

Okay, I LOVE Gone With the Wind. I also never saw it as a historical testament. It is -- first, foremost -- a treatise on storytelling, on character-building. It does not pretend to be fair or accurate. It is Scarlett's story and it is an exploration of many things, up to and including the folly of fallow love that never really existed in the first place. (Gee, like I've never experienced that, huh?) I don't know what is happening or how far out of whack the pendulum is going to continue to swing or why I'm willing to die on the hill that is GWTW, but all this makes me want to throw myself out the window. God damn it, I live on the ground floor.

I feel like I'm watching a horror movie where the target is artistic freedom. Don't go in there!

No comments: