Monday, May 7, 2007

"The American Wedding, Assessed"

Adam just sent me this. Interesting read, even if the author doesn't entirely address the question of super-sized weddings in the context of her own relationship -- she soft-soaps the ending. Still, I get the point. Even the most cynical of couples can succumb to the gauzy-edged power that is the wedding industry.

Or can they?

To quote Chuck Palahniuk, who was an excellent read at UC Berkeley the other night: I'm not a nihilist. I'm a romantic. I believe strongly in what a wedding represents, the significance, the commitment. I also know my parents had a huge-ass wedding. And look where that ended up.

Is it that weddings are precursors to marriage in the sense that they're bigger than the relationships themselves? That they involve the whims and wills of the families, the wedding planners, the florists?

Maybe I'm just beating my own dead horse. I'm pretty sure I am.

I look inside myself to see if there's any desire to be that bride. You know, that one, the one in the unexpectedly beautiful dress, in front of the mirror, blushing and preening. That one feeding cake to her beloved.

I'm not seeing any indication that she's there.

No comments: