Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The suck of small talk

I read this article with amusement. Absolutely nothing groundbreaking here.

I have an alternative approach: I try the outrage card. When Adam and I were in New York, we met up with a few of his acquaintances. I was fresh off what was probably my weakest performance (it was a late show, it had been snowing all day, I was tired and felt locked into my script, which I busted up very successfully the next night) and we went to a bar. I thought, I'm in a lousy mood and I could potentially ruin it for everyone, which would be completely lame.

Turns out these guys were Miata drivers. So I looked at them and said: "Okay, guys, when you're sodomized, do you prefer it gentle or rough?" Fun ensued.

1 comment:

WordVixen said...

Instead say, “Hi, I’m Jan. I just moved to town from Detroit, and I love this Florida weather.”

Hm.. That usually just indicates that someone is a gabber who will be hard to shake off later. I think I like your suggestion better.