Thursday, February 14, 2008

A world of difference

Eight years ago, I made an appointment in secret and had laser hair removal on my face in the shadow of the Claremont Hotel in Berkeley.

I told no one. The procedure took an agonizing hour and left me miserably, painfully broken out. Two days later I flew to Venice and spent far too much time pacing that beautiful city in search of something that would give me relief. I had two subsequent laser treatments, but since I wasn't on medication at the time for the congenital adrenal hyperplasia that causes the hair to grow in the first place, it was like swimming upstream.

Flash forward. Valentine's Day, eight years later. Adam drove me to a medical spa in downtown Walnut Creek. I drank wine, he drank coffee, and we sat there and joked about the Botox posters. The procedure took 10 minutes and was entirely bearable. Hours later, I've seen no signs of swelling or breaking out, and I'm hoping that won't change.

Afterward, he hugged me and called me beautiful. Then we went to Fresh Choice.

I'm in for many more treatments, but this is a start.

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone.

3 comments:

Tracy Deebs said...

I'm so proud of you! I'm glad things turned out so much better this time around-- I'm so sorry you've had to go through all this.

Tracy Deebs said...

I'm really proud of you-- and so thrilled that yesterday went so well! Hang in there. When's Prague, btw? And total congrats on Hustler! Gotta tell me when so I can go buy the issue . . .

Unknown said...

Dear Allison,
If you want more information about CAH, please contact CARES Foundation. We are dedicated to helping to manage life with CAH. By the way, I found your blog through another organization, Magic Foundation, that helps kids with growth problems. They sent a link to your blog to their entire membership.
I am a native Berkeleyian (Euclid Ave. )and still spend a lot of time there, though I live on the east coast. You can learn more about CARES at www.caresfoundation.org. Let us know if we can help.

Kelly R. Leight
President and Founder
CARES Foundation, Inc.
(Congenital Adrenal hyperplasia Research, Education and Support)
2414 Morris Ave., Suite 110
Union, NJ 07083
Office: (973) 912-3895
Toll free: (866) 227-3737
Fax: (973) 912-8990
Email: kelly@caresfoundation.org
Website: www.caresfoundation.org