Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Meditation teaches us not to attach -- to people, experiences, or things.

That doesn't mean we should refrain from loving, living, or owning anything. It means not letting ourselves get caught up in all this to the point where our emotions are tied with external factors.

Easier said than done, sure. But very worth trying.

I get wrapped up with injustice, whether real or perceived. I can spend an ungodly amount of time doing the calculus -- who is right, who is wrong, and what is the punishment? I rationalize that if I don't do this, the perpetrator (again, real or perceived) is getting away with something.

I can parse it out on a logical level. Emotions are a different animal. That's why I'm working not to attach to injustice, and to take more of an observational, rather than angry and punitive, role.

No comments: