Monday, November 3, 2008

Jewish version of the Iron Chef

I love to cook. I love to pick up a bunch of fresh produce and take eight hours chopping and preparing it. So why not post my random recipes?

Last night I made veggie soup and garlic bread. You don't necessarily need a recipe for either, but in my infinite generosity I will provide directions for both. Enjoy.

Veggie Soup for Those Without Cooking GPS

1 onion
2 zucchini
2 carrots
2 stalks celery
1 bell pepper (color of your choice - I prefer red, yellow or orange)
6 or so mushrooms (white or brown), sliced or chopped
1 red potato (optional, particularly if you choose to use pasta)
1 cup orzo
1 tbsp Better Than Bouillion or equivalent
garlic (to taste)
1/2 serrano pepper
1 bay leaf
spices to taste (I like black pepper/red chili flakes, basil, oregano, thyme, turmeric or rosemary occasionally)
dash of sesame oil

Saute onion in olive oil with aromatics (bay leaf, Italian seasoning) until translucent. Chop all veggies into equally sized pieces. Add to Dutch oven and cook for 10 minutes, adding a sprinkle of salt at the beginning to bring out flavors. Add 8-12 cups water, bouillon, spices, and sesame oil. Simmer for as long as desired. Ten minutes from end of simmering, add orzo, serrano, and garlic.


Allison's Ghetto Garlic Bread

1 baguette
6-8 cloves garlic
olive oil
parsley (optional)
cheese (optional)

Heat oven to 350 Farenheit. Mince garlic. Cut baguette into fourths. Brush with olive oil, then sprinkle garlic. Add parsley and cheese if desired. Cook for 10 minutes. Drink heavily and enjoy.

No comments: