Thursday, February 19, 2009

Dream job

I first started thinking about freelancing while I was working at Inman News Features. There I met Warren, who in addition to being a kick-ass editor and just a generally sweet guy (and a friend to this day), was a full-time freelancer. He came into the Inman office to help out now and again, and I always got a kick out of hearing him answer his cell phone with "This is Warren." I pictured a slew of clients waiting for his counsel. I was impressed.

Warren told me he could play hoops in the middle of the day. I hate basketball, but I wanted to play hoops! I wanted that freedom and flexibility. More than anything, I wanted to be able to call the shots with my career. I wanted to love what I did.

Flash forward a decade. I'm sitting in a coffee shop rewriting web content. I'm playing with words, and I love it. Thanks for the inspiration, Lutz.

2 comments:

Lutz said...

LOL, you're very welcome Allison, however I must admit it's you that inspires me nowadays. Inman. Good times. Good times on my chair. Chair stains. Nightmares. AHH!

Allison Landa said...

Served you guys right for showing up at like 6 am. Come in at 10 like I did and the stains were already present, accounted for, and without need for explanation!