Monday, February 23, 2009

My first publication

Two powerful things happened in fifth grade: I wrote a book and my youngest brother was born. Evidence of that combination is below.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present "The Life and Hard Times of Sarah Elizabeth Kaufman" -- written and illustrated by Allison Dawn Landa. From the synopsis: "September 12, 1984. It was a normal day ... or so Sarah Kaufman thought. It was the day her world shattered."

Back page. "Her best friend, Elizabeth, dumped her for a couple of jerks and her mother was pregnant. Both events were a total shock to Sarah."

Title page. Zenith Publishing Company was our teacher's creation. We bound our own books and twenty-five years later, the damn thing still holds up.

I'm trying to find the right words for this author's bio. For once, I'm speechless.

2 comments:

Lutz said...

I want to read it!

In sixth grade, I wrote a children's book called "Baby Bobby." I couldn't think how to end it... so I had the main character killed in a bank robbery.

Allison Landa said...

Warren, that's truly brilliant. If only I had blood and guts in mine. Instead I have a reference to the main character as a "kike" ... and then an asterisked footnote informing the reader that kike "is a nasty word for a Jewish person."

I'll loan it to you the next time we go drinking. Speaking of which ... when?