Monday, May 11, 2009

Closing the curtain ... for now

Tonight is my last performance for a while. Don't get me wrong -- I love the Marsh, as well as every other venue that has generously opened its stage to me.

But I've become more and more aware that I'm a writer first and performer second. While I love the thrill of taking the stage, I am not a natural performer. I saw in particular with this last round at Monday Night Marsh that I was far more enthusiastic about writing the piece than coaching myself on performing it.

When I make a commitment to a theater, I want to follow through to the most of my ability. Since I'm lagging on this, I think I'm going to take a break and concentrate on the writing, where the opportunities are opening up.

I'll be back, though. Performing is elusive and addictive.

No comments: