Thursday, May 22, 2008

Ladies and gentlemen, do I hear five? Five Milk-Bones?

A Northern California biotech company announced Wednesday that it will clone dogs for the five highest bidders in a series of online auctions. Some ethicists condemned the offer, fearing it could lead to human clones.

Did I trip on acid without my knowledge? This Mill Valley company wants to clone pets -- with opening bids at $100,000?

I'm not surprised to see the guy who runs the would-be cloner company, BioArts International, used to head up Genetic Savings & Clone, which apparently shut down two years ago because they couldn't get enough kitty owners to bite.

Years ago, I called up and left a message for Genetic Savings & Clone. "I want to clone my cat," I said. "It's important. Call me back."

They returned my call at 9 am on a Sunday. Totally ungodly hour. I'd all but forgotten about my dorky little joke. When they called, I just laughed and hung up.

No comments: