Sunday, September 13, 2009

Productive unproductivity

The sun came out here in Peterborough today for the first time in two days. Not only did it put me in a good mood, it set me in a wandering one.

First off, I got up later than I've been getting up. I've been arising anywhere from 7 to 7:45 in search of yes, bacon. But today I got up at 9 and I think it was really helpful. Deprived of my big breakfast, I had fruit, granola, and yogurt instead and understood (not for the first time) that big breakfasts are my enemy. Yummy, but not a productive or healthy way to start the day.

Cruised down to my studio and diddled around down here, then got antsy and took a walk. I'd already taken a few pictures on my way from Pan's Cottage (the dormitory) to Colony Hall, but I wanted more. So I grabbed my camera and my sunglasses and headed back up the hill.

I took lots of pictures (and one video) of the chickens. Friendly guys, so sweet. They'll just come right over to you in a cluster. Here's a hint, though: Don't touch the electric fence.

I then made my way to the garden, which is tended by one talented woman. She's growing flowers as well as edibles: honeydew (I think), kale, an enormous patch of dill. The amount of bees buzzing in there made me happy rather than nervous for once -- good to see those guys around.

Then I went into Colony Hall and snapped all kinds of goofy stuff. Lots of Ping-Pong paddles, flowers, chairs. It's my favorite public space here. So comfortable. The library has internet, but I prefer to hang out in Colony Hall and use my card if I have to. Comfy couches, fireplace, gorgeous high ceiling -- perfect!

Pictures, blogging/emailing, an epic two-and-a-half hour nap ... all things that feed my writing. I did write 274 words, which isn't all that much, but I plan to do more tonight. As for now, I'm happy to just let down my expectations of myself and enjoy this beautiful day.

No comments: